Arto,

You see the long-and-two-shorts all over Spinacino, too. For example, in the
Sidedero in the Odhecaton uses a dotted figure while Spinacino repeated uses it
in the way you describe in Newsidler (we find the same figures more often
dotted rhythms in the Capirola Sidedero, however).

Interestingly, comparing the Tsat een meskin between the Odhecaton and the
Segovia ms. Petrucci uses the dotted figure while the Segovia usually uses the
long note and two shorts. Since both are mensural sources I'm not sure we can
attribute it to being a lute phenomenon unless we consider Segovia a possible
lute source.

Sean