On Feb 21, 2013, at 10:49 AM, Sam Chapman <manchap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is far more evidence for a legato
>   way of playing. One of the first rules we learn on the lute is to hold
>   down the left hand fingers until they are needed for another note -
>   doesn't this indicate a desire for sustaining the resonance of the
>   instrument, rather than cutting it short (i.e. articulating).

Cutting a note short amounts to "articulating" only if it's a contrast to other
notes.  If all the notes are short, it's just choppy playing, and deliberately
shortening a note is pointless if that note is surrounded by notes that are
inadvertently shortened.  So evidence of a preference for not inadvertently
stopping notes prematurely through poor technique 1) is not evidence against
preventing a bass note from ringing beyond its written value, and 2) is not
evidence against stopping stopping notes for expressive purposes.

This doesn't settle the question of whether Weiss (for example) would have been
perfectly satisfied with how his basses sounded without damping them.

O'Dette is a master at controlling the ends of notes, and it's the reason he
makes contrapuntal voice-leading dizzyingly obvious:  a note that comes after
silence is

emphasized.