Dear Alan,

   According to Robert Spencer's article in New Grove:

   "Sturt's seven extant lute solos were written for a ten-course lute in
   aEUR~old' tuning with the lowest course lowered to B a(TM) A for two of
   the pieces."
   Fret material (and strings for that matter) would have been gut. We
   can't know for sure the exact size and pitch to which Sturt's
   instrument would have been tuned - this is arguably less crucial in any
   case, since lutes in all manner of different sizes survive from the
   period, and would no doubt have been tuned accordingly. If there was
   ever such a thing as "concert pitch" at that time in England, Bruce
   Haynes has suggested that it might have been about a tone lower than
   modern pitch. Since Sturt was employed at court and was involved in
   masque entertainments, one might assume that he sometimes played at
   this pitch. Assuming he thought of his lute in G, this corresponds to a
   string length of about 66cm. Assuming (again) that he had 8 or possibly
   9 frets tied on the neck, one can then work out the body size
   (roughly). Or one can examine surviving instruments with this string
   length. Lot's of assumptions I'm afraid - I wouldn't get too bogged
   down in the dogma!

   Good luck!

   Sam