Dear Alan,

   Therefore he collected music for the whole gamut of renaissance lutes!
   the six course lute is rather a different instrument from the 10 course
   and different again from the 12 course. See this brief history of the
   lute http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/history1.htm for some idea of the
   differences. You *could* play everything on a 10 course lute but it
   would give a rather false idea of the 6 course music. He might easily
   have had two or three lutes.

   The M.L. lute book, c.1610-40 [music] : London, British Library,
   additional MS 38539 generally known as John Sturt's lute book
   reproduced four-fifths original size : containinng 88 solos and duets
   for 6-to 10-course lute in renaissance tuning, c.1610-25, a continuo
   harmony table for 10-course lute in renaissance tuning, c.1625, one
   duet for 12-course lutes in 'flat French' tuning, c. 1630-40 / with an
   introductory study and guide to concordances by Robert Spencer
   Bib ID
   1411132
   Format
   Music
   Description
   Kilkenny, Ireland : Boethius Press, c1985.
   1 ms. score (xxxvi, [76 p.]) : facsims., ill. ; 38 cm.
   ISBN
   0863141021
   Series
   Musical sources (Boethius Press) ; 25.
   Notes
   Facsim. of manuscripts.
   Subjects
   Lute music.
   Other authors/contributors
   Spencer, Robert, 1932-  |  Sturt, John, fl. 1607-1625
   Also Titled
   John Sturt's lute book.