Artists use(d) casein glue to glue up panels for painting. The
   advantage is that it is waterproof so isn't softened by the gessoing
   process.

     Casein Glue for Joining
     If it is necessary to glue up a panel, the best thing to use is the
     cheese and lime glue which Cennino describes in Chapter CXII. [The
     Craftsman's Handbook, p. 68.] I have seen a medieval panel, made up
     with this cement, which was [11] so completely eaten away by worms
     that the cement which originally joined two parts together stood out
     in a thin ridge half an inch high, with the marks of the grain of
     the wood visible on both sides of it. It is durable, adhesive, and,
     once dry, insoluble in water. This insolubility is a great
     advantage; for the surface of a panel is kept moist for a long time
     in the process of gessoing, and ordinary glues tend to soften
     dangerously if they are kept damp. If the panel is so wide that it
     cannot be cut from a single plank, two or more planks may be put
     together with this glue, with broad clamps to hold them while it
     dries, of course. Moldings may be glued to the panel with it, and
     nailed through in addition with copper nails, or brads. There are
     several proprietary casein glues on the market now which are good
     and useful, but for gluing wooden panels Cennino's lime-casein
     recipe is better. The alkaline principles of the trade casein glues
     are more soluble than lime, and may do damage; and the dried film
     which these products leave behind resembles a glue, while the lime
     mixture resembles a cement, and is better suited to use in a joint
     between two pieces of wood. Cennino's recipe is easily followed,
     using any lean cheese, "mouse cheese," or even "cottage" cheese,
     consisting of fresh curds strained from the whey. Be sure to get
     pure lime, and not the compound material called "Hydraulic lime"
     which many builders use instead. (D Thompson, The Practice of
     Tempera Painting, 1936, pp10-11)

   Cennino's recipe is found in his book, "Il Libro dell'Arte" from about
   1390.:

     To Make a Glue out of Lime and Cheese.
     Chapter C XII
     There is a glue used by workers in wood; this is made of cheese.
     After putting it to soak in water, work it over with a little
     quicklime, using a little board with both hands. Put it between the
     boards; it joins them and fastens them together well.

   A translation of the full text of Cennino's fascinating book is
   [1]here.
   I suppose it might have been used for gluing up the panels of a
   harpsichord lid prior to painting, but generally it is too hard and
   permanent for instrument making.
   I once found and used an old tin of Casco, which was the predecessor of
   Cascamite. It worked fine but smelt distinctly cheesy, and left a
   brownish stain on the wood even though it was very pale itself.
   Regards

   On 15 March 2013 10:15, Martyn Hodgson <[2]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>