This is a complicated question, but basically the Rodes are really too
   bright for lute. The Studio Projects B1 (not the other models, only the
   B1) is the Budget King at $89 and the Oktava is fine--the omni capsules
   are better for lute of you have the right acoustic, and you can get a
   model with both omni and cardioid capsules for not much extra. If you
   just want the best value for the money, get the B1, if you want more
   flexibilty with a multicapsule system, get the Oktava with both sets of
   capsules. Of the Rodes, the NT5 omni capsule is way better than the
   Rode cardiod capsule for lute, it is brighter than the Oktava omni--the
   bass extension is similar, maybe the Oktava goes a bit lower if you
   need to mic a violone. Remember that for lute, bass extension picks up
   more traffic rumble, but this is easy to roll off in post.
   Most lute recordings have an astonishing amount of noise and junk in
   the sound, which is surprising. The SP B1 is fairly quiet, For super
   quiet, you need to buy a more expensive mic, and here the big three for
   lute in no particular order are the Schoeps M2H, the Sennheiser MKH 20
   and the DPA 4003. Of these, the MKH 20 is silent in all respects, and
   can record a clavichord.
   The Focusrite USB is at the lower end of the preamp food chain,
   consider a flash recorder preamp combo like the Fostex FR2LE. There is
   a caveat here which is if you are thinking of expanding into video,
   then you want gear that works with video, and here the advantage of the
   Oktava 012 is that it can be put on a boom for doing interviews and so
   on. If you are in a church and it is too live, use the cardioid, if you
   are in a home studio, use the omni capsules. More flexibility, but a
   little more self noise than the B1. A three mic system with an
   inexpensive ribbon mic will be even better, but then you need an
   interface that will record three mics, like the Tascam DR 680.