Bill's got it. Adrien le Roy makes it Kosher- but I would do it anyway. Exceptions are the very rare wide, blocky finger tips that can actually cover both courses (FOUR strings!) on the end. When Joseph Iadone's name came up a few weeks ago, someone said that he had such fingers & could nail those two courses straight away in that fashion- makes sense, such fingers are more typical amongst double-bass players- and my oldest son is in fact a bass player with such fingers.

Amongst my students I have encountered those who cannot hyperextend the distal joint of the index finger so as to sufficiently clear the 1st course; so while they train themselves to eventually- if possible- gain the necessary flexibility (it really is the best- and sometime the only way in some pieces- to play the 1st position E-flat chord) they either do it 4-finger Neusidler style or drop the 3rd course b-flat- always an option!

Far more difficult is the same partial barre done with the 2nd finger, required for an E major chord 1/2 step higher. Dowland, Melchior Neusidler, Bakfark, and a few other of the professional heavyweights throw that one at us! 3-course partial barre with the 4th finger can be useful at the 5th fret for some cadential situations. Only Jazz guitarists seem to need that barre using the 3rd/ring finger.

Excellent practice for jumping in and out of the E-flat chord is Luis Milan's "Pavana III". He has you jumping back and forth from E-flat to A-flat at his tempo of "Compas algo apriesa"- somewhat fast.

Dan