Joe,

    No need to be offended. You raise some good points. Because of my
activities as a classical guitarist and lutenist, I must occasionally contend
with nails and lack of nails on each instrument. The biggest hurdle has been
baroque lute. Until relatively recently, I could not any kind of acceptable
sound out of it when I had nails, but after much effort, I think I've finally
cracked how to do it.

It is NOT true that playing with nails results in the individual strings of a
course being played one after another. This only happens if one assumes that
"playing with nails" simply means transferring modern classical guitar
technique to the lute in toto. I can get a full sound with nails, but I don't
play the lute like a classical guitar when the nails are present and I can't
play it the same way as I do without nails. Unfortunately, I have found few
models regarding what sort of technique is needed to play the lute with nails.
It's been completely a method of trial and error. That's a scary path to trend
when you've got a concert coming up! (For what it's worth, there are also no
real modern models regarding how to play baroque lute with a historically
accurate right hand position in general.)

Joe, I think you have some valid points which are well worth considering
seriously.

Chris

Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer