Thank you also, Chris for your last post. Very enlightening, your experience of nails with Baroque Lute vs. nails on Classical guitar. That's the kind of in depth reporting that is needed (and much like the re-discovery of lute RH technique in general- thumbs in, out, and all the rest) and is one reason why I am still waiting for a good, accurate explanation & translation of Piccinni's comments on nails- and anyone else's from the time periods that matter- not because I personally want or need to use nails, but because I run into other players; occasionally students, who need nails for their guitar work but want to do as well as they can on lutes and other double course, historically problematic instruments.

Don't know why this nail business has to be such an emotionally hot button issue (as it always seems to have been, even just amongst the guitarists themselves) any more than synthetic vs. historic stringing, playing position/location of the right hand, frets, and the myriad other trivia- that, taken all together- make such big differences from historic practice in this era. Can't it be discussed just a tad less emotional heat? It's just one of a number of fascinating & annoying details that make this whole early music endeavor so much fun. Keeps it interesting, no?

Consider this: a low tension gut strung 11 course French Baroque lute, as depicted in Charles Mouton's famous painting & engraving; his right hand arched & bent as much as any modern classical guitarist (and more than Julian Bream's), right down at the bridge- and we assume no nails- but check a good, detailed enlargement of his right thumb in the engraving- click on and enlarge the right hand area, computer screen brightened up all the way:

http://en.expertissim.com/old-engravings/gerard-edelinck-portrait-of-charles-mouton-joueur-de-luth-francais-o12131333.html

How much different will that sound be, compared to a sensitive, highly trained, informed and experienced player who uses nails- (perhaps a little closer to the rose?) I believe Toyohiko Satoh has released a CD where he does indeed (but presumably sans nails) play his historic lute just like that, low tension all-gut, RH and all.

Dan