Hi Rob,

Crawford Young has a trick of playing w/ a quill and he's able to use a few
other fingers now and then. That may work for the "noodles over tenor" recipe
that was popular. Eg, the spagna, Comme femme and De tous biens (from Segovia)
as well as earlier sources from the Buxheimer and Locheimer pieces.

The nice thing about tenors is that they don't go down so far as the bass notes
we're so used to in the 16th century. So fair game may also be that huge
burgundian repertory where you simply play the tenor + cantus. If you want to
do it "right", go quill on as much as you can. Of course, decorating the Cantus
to your heart's content or even discarding for a Rob MacK specialized
contrapunto certainly seems acceptable. To me, at least.

I have this idea in the back of my head that Spinacino put so many of his
pieces in horrible keys (usually up a minor 3rd) so they could also be playable
on a 5-c. If you look at his setting of Tandernacken it's a nearly exact
setting of the Segovia version - but, up from a comfortable-for-6c to an
almost-doable-on-5c. If you were to play it on a 5-c tho you'd only be missing
a few notes and usually they'd be available up an octave.

Spin's Amours amours, Malor me bat, Haray tres amours and Cent milles ecus (all
Bk 2) among many others also fall into that category. There are ocasional bass
notes on the 6th but you can _almost_ work around them. And being Spinacino,
they are handfuls and often dreadful handfuls. Find the originals where you can
and see what's going on and what you can remove to make it work. The music is
really quite nice. It's just unfortunate that it requires so much work. Haray
tres, at least, is short, very faithful to the original - when you tear down
the window dresssing - and not especially impossible.

Being a transitional period of luting (5c -> 6c, quills -> fingers, mss. ->
prints, Burgundians -> Frottoles, etc), I can certainly see
Petrucci's/Spinacino's ideas of keeping as many options open as possible. Who
knows where if printing this printing music concept is even going to sell??
Lute players??

I found I was able to set a few Dalzas for the ren guitar (and that's removing
2 courses) and they are a lot of fun. Yes, they were poo-poo'd on this list as
being inauthentic but of course you're on firmer ground. Maybe the suite in Bb
with the 5th course down a tone would work (and maybe discordato the 4th, too,
so you can easily get to the sub dominant?).

As I see it, Petrucci sold you the music and a suggestion of how to make it
work and it's up to you to actually make it work on the instruments you have.

But keep flogging it until morale improves.

Sean