not dirt! it's patina!

   Gesendet: Montag, 28. Juli 2014 um 15:21 Uhr
   Von: "Matthew Daillie" <dail...@club-internet.fr>
   An: "Herbert Ward" <wa...@physics.utexas.edu>
   Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   Betreff: [LUTE] Re: Bare spot on soundboard.
   This is inevitable and is part of the life of the lute. The more worn
   it is, the more it shows you've been practicing! After a few years, the
   soundboards of the instruments of some professional players can look as
   though they are going to develop a hole where the little finger rests,
   but I've never seen that actually happen.
   If you wash your hands before you play and keep the fingernail of your
   little finger short, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I
   wouldn't attempt to try any sort of patching of the finish, it will
   probably just make things worse. If the soundboard is dirty you can try
   using a plastic (not rubber) eraser but you have to be very careful not
   to apply any pressure and to go along the grain of the wood.
   In time you probably won't even notice that there is a mark where your
   little finger rests and if you do, you might actually grow to like it!.
   Best,
   Matthew