We-ell, not exactly.  The pinkie-on-the-soundboard thing is legitimate
renaissance lute technique.  It's described in treatises dating all the way
back to the 16th century.  I once had an opportunity to play Jakob Lindberg’s
Rauolf lute that dates back to 1590, and sure enough, there was the mark on the
soundboard that bears the imprint of 400 years worth of pinkies!  You’ll also
notice that some early 19th-century guitars have a resting place glued on to
the top for the player’s pinkie.  Plus, I certainly wouldn’t say that Merle
Travis finger style playing was developed by players with inadequate right hand
techniques.  Not to mention bluegrass banjo players…

DR