That was fun Sean thanks.  You have a great
ability to express yourself keeping the reader
int mind.

Tobiah

On 8/4/2014 5:11 PM, Sean Smith wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Despite holding it upside down, Hendrix did adhere to a lot of
standard techniques of electric guitar playing. His rendition of a
certain repurposed English glee song was more an experiment in melody
and feedback (and propriety) than technique in my opinion. Be that as
it may - let's not get into a Hendrix loop if we can help it. It's a
shame he never recorded Suzanne un jour, tho. It would have been
glorious! I'd click on that and crank it up - because I can.

But, Tobiah, I did like this line of yours: Our ears are in tune with
a different set of practices now (at least the general public).
...with which I must agree.

To start at random, those of us who have been brain-trained to accept
the modern major-minor scales have been hard-wired to certain
emotional effects. It's very difficult to untrain our ears to hear
the modes as Josquin, Francesco, Dowland and all the composers who
used them. They had certain emotional flavors that evolved from Dufay
to Josquin to Lasso to the Gaultiers to Rameau, etc. Very few of us
have the chance to hear a Phrygian or Lydian composition with the
same ears as it was meant to be heard. "Oooh, that's kind of minor,
isn't it?"

And volume - we've been trained to accept music at volumes never
conceived of before (ok, outside the rare Brumel and multi-chorus
extraveganza). Today's choices of volume, tone colors, sustain,
rhythms, 'fixing it in post' - as we commonly accept them today -
would be completely foreign to the Old Ones. Can we unlearn these
terms in order to hear what might have been imagined when they saw or
wrote music on paper then? And the power to instantly change it:
Crank those Ramones up! ... till the phone rings!

How do we unhear what we know is possible from Beethoven, Stravinsky,
Cage and Eno to hear the cutting modern edge of Kapsberger? There
were probably those who thought it was horrible and were aghast at
what music had become in the hands of these lutenist upstarts. Now
we're amused and impressed by his daring. How do we get that back?
(Maybe a whammy bar and holding the lute upside down! Graphite!)
Should we?

And the occasion of music: Now we hear canned symphonies and "easy
listening" in the supermarket, buildings spaces, alarm clocks and
telephones in any grade of ability, volume, tone color and expectancy
of attention - for various purposes. And we accept it! This is
normal! These, indeed, are not the ears that heard the early music we
discuss here. Can we even compare whistling L'homme armee while
taking your pig to the market to having an iPhone with 10 gigs of
mp3s in the car on the way to Costco?

We have access to the entire corpus of surviving music for any given
period (as well as what it had been and would evolve to) to play
from. And that's a lot more than many amateurs or pros had then. Then
you would have been at the mercy of what you had in your
notebook/memory or what the present performers wanted to play. The
restriction changes how you see the opportunity to hear it.

And those niggling performance questions: should I wear tails (19th
century)? A tie and jacket (mid-20th century)?
Birkenstocks/Tevas/barefoot (last 30 years, California centric)? or
... You-tube?

A lot of this, of course, is carryover from HIP discussions but we
should remember that it's not just a _performance_ question but a
listener situation. It's the ears that Tobias brings up.

For me, the ultimate creativity is to try and hear it in the way it
was purposed. I've got plenty of modern, thank you, even before I
consider modern stringing on a better/more modern instrument. It
takes a lot more 'work' to ditch the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries
than to work the "modern" into my lute music. No, I will never be
successful in eliminating this world (and the tinnitis-tinged ears
they've created) but I finally have a somewhat historical lute, a
handful of music and some rudimentary ideas to approximate what might
have been. I don't want to back down what few ladder steps I've
ascended.

Now imagine getting an early edition of Don Quixote and slicing open
each page as you read it.

My two groats, three buttons and a bit of lint.

Sean

ps. The subject line references Peg-Heads. I respect them but prefer
well-fitted pegs and a well-lubricated nut. The latter is often the
sticking point [ahem] in ease of tuning.