On Aug 4, 2014, at 6:17 PM, Sean Smith <lutesm...@mac.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't anyone talk about historically informed listening?

Perhaps the answer to that question can be found in Ken Burns’ 2001 PBS series
about jazz, which was titled, very creatively, “Jazz.”

He showed jazz pianist Cecil Taylor saying that his audience should prepare for
his concerts, just as Taylor prepared for them,
then cut immediately to Branford Marsalis saying, "That’s total self-indulgent
bullshit,” adding that he loved baseball, but "I’m not going to go and catch a
hundred grounders before I go to a game.”