I guess I'm your boy.

   I taught myself guitar,A  starting at age 9 (having started 'cello the
   previous year)A  and played mostly folk styles (including Travis
   picking). Never once was I able to play with a finger grounded on the
   guitar top plate.

   At about 21, I taught myself classical guitar, largely through tab from
   Fredrick Noad' so book. I had already been reading Holborn from
   Kanizowa(sp?) on guitar,A  capo 3 g-string down a half tone.

   When I got home from the cruise (USN) my wide revealed that she'd had
   classical guitar lessons (Fredrick Hand) and approved of my hand
   position,A  and showed me exercises she'd been given for rest stroke.

   In about 1980, we started playing with UCONN's Collegial,A  under
   BruceA  Bellingham. They had a reality,A  but it was perpetually on
   loan.A  I restrict the 13-course lute as a re-enter,A  Holborn tuning
   and confident diaphanous from there down. I used guitar technique,A
   and it sucked.A  i sucked worse at soprano Shawn,A  so it may be
   understandable that I got a pass.A  (Although I was the inspiration for
   remarks about letting and pillaging,A  andA  'from the sublime to the
   ridiculous.)

   To make a 51-year story short(er),A  bent-wrist rest-stop technique on
   lute is self-defeating.A  The described banana finger technique makes
   the string sound better. PERIOD.

   We all know that Bream largely used guitar technique and did well
   (enough to bring many of us to the lute.) He also had a guitar - style
   saddle and bridge,A  nylon and silk and over spun strings,A  etc.