I think one of the theories of researching and attempting to emulate the
techniques of the old days is to shake us out of our complacency with
the current way of doing things, much as taking apart an oboe and bassoon
and playing just the reed (extended techniques) is a way to shake up
musicians who are "stuck" in the current techniques.  Of course not everyone
wants to play this game, which requires research and experimentation
skills, and time.  Many people are very happy to go to school and
pay someone to tell them exactly how to perform their art.  These days
there is a well defined "old style" of playing the lute that you can
learn without doing any research or experimentation yourself.

When we look at a lot of old pictures of people playing the lute in a certain
era and a certain place we see a certain consistency.  We see a lot of rh
little fingers sticking out near the bridge, but we can't easily tell whether
they are firmly planted or just making occasional light contact.  We can't
tell how long the  fingernails are or the gauge and pitch of the strings.
So exactly how the old ones played is a puzzle with pieces missing.

Another sociological question is that of peer pressure in the lute world.
Why do some people feel defensive, or why are they persecuted for applying
a contemporary or 100 year old technique to a much older instrument?  Why
are there so few electric archlutes?  There is a thesis for your PHD degree!

  Wayne

Begin forwarded message: