   From: R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de>
   To: Benjamin Narvey <luthi...@gmail.com>
   Cc: Andreas Schlegel <lute.cor...@sunrise.ch>; lute list
   <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, 14 August 2014, 22:29
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Italian Theorbo: 6/8, 7/8, 8/8....
   On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:26:19 +0200, Benjamin Narvey wrote
   > Both. Whike French theorboes tended to be single strung,
   This sounds as if we can make sound statements about the the types of
   instruments used in France. How large is our sample compared to the
   population? (Read: how many surviving instruments/paintings do we have)
   30 out of 300? 40 out of 4000? 50 out of 10.000? BTW. this is a serious
   question.
   So did Visee play a rather unusual instrument in this picture
   ([1]http://www.hoasm.org/VIIB/Visee.html)?
   > only the
   > largest Italian ones (stopped string length near 100 cm) were
   > single; the vast majority of Italian theorboes (and the ones
   > corresponding to the sizes we tend to play, 80 cm and up) almost
   > always double.
   Poor Castaldi - according to his own engravings he played an instrument
   that, according to modern folklore, was a typical french theorbo
   (rather
   small, single strung with a roundish/deep body).
   > This can be seen in both surviving instruments,
   > historical sources
   What kind of sources besides iconography and surviving instruments?
   >and iconography. I refer you to the excellent
   > thesis of Lynda Sayce for an in depth review of the material and
   > surviving instruments.
   No, I think there is a statistical fallacie here: surviving instruments
   can not be used to estimate the original theorbo population. To do so
   you'd first need to formulate your question(s), then pick a relevant
   set
   of samples and have them survive (a rather absurd idea). The survival
   of
   a theorbo might be caused by rather distorting reasons: maybe the
   isntrument was especially beatiful, or impressive (if so, you'd expect
   larger instruments to survive) or so useless/bad that it wasn't played
   until totally broken. Or too big to be reworked into a baroque
   lute/gallichon/mandora.
   Cheers, RalfD