On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 7:29, R. Mattes <r...@mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

     On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:26:19 +0200, Benjamin Narvey wrote
     > Both. Whike French theorboes tended to be single strung,

   Taken from Robert Spencer's article:
   "He [Mersenne] added the correction that his engraving of
   a tuorbe (Fig. 16) should be called arciliuto, and that the tiorbe was
   larger and single-strung."
   I have not checked the original Mersenne, but assuming that the article
   correct, this seems to be rather good evidence that at least some
   theorbos were single strung, both French and Italian.

     This sounds as if we can make sound statements about the the types
     of
     instruments used in France. How large is our sample compared to the
     population? (Read: how many surviving instruments/paintings do we
     have)
     30 out of 300? 40 out of 4000? 50 out of 10.000? BTW. this is a
     serious
     question.

   It may be an interesting exercise to find out, but what would interest
   me more (and perhaps modern performers of the French repertoire) is to
   find out what kinds of instruments the important French players would
   have performed on. I know there is little evidence that links
   historical players with their instruments, but every time I play the
   pieces of the great French violist Marin Marais, I see very obvious
   single-strung 6+8 theorbos on the frontispiece. If Marais (and his
   engraver) chose to have those kinds of instruments decorating his
   publicationsawhy would you include pictures of instruments you didn't
   want heard in your musicaI suppose it's evidence good enough for me to
   consider that they probably played on instruments that were similar. If
   Marais did intend the use of single-strung 6+8 theorbos in his music,
   it would not be too difficult to imagine that many of his 'music de
   chambre' colleaguesaincluding De VisA(c)eawould have done something
   similar.

     So did Visee play a rather unusual instrument in this picture
     (http://www.hoasm.org/VIIB/Visee.html)?

   To me, the instrument seems to be held quite high, making the
   instrument seem larger than it is. There also seems to be some
   perspective distortion: you can tell from the way the guitar looks in
   the foreground. This seems to also add to the illusion of a big
   instrument. Also we must take into account that these men are probably
   physically smaller than how we perceive them. There is evidence that
   there was a decrease in height during the 17th and 18th centuries, the
   average, according to a quick Google search, of around 5' 6" or around
   168cm.
   I would say it is more likely an arciliuto, as described by Mersenne.

     > only the
     > largest Italian ones (stopped string length near 100 cm) were
     > single; the vast majority of Italian theorboes (and the ones
     > corresponding to the sizes we tend to play, 80 cm and up) almost
     > always double.
     Poor Castaldi - according to his own engravings he played an
     instrument
     that, according to modern folklore, was a typical french theorbo
     (rather
     small, single strung with a roundish/deep body).
     > This can be seen in both surviving instruments,
     > historical sources
     What kind of sources besides iconography and surviving instruments?
     >and iconography. I refer you to the excellent
     > thesis of Lynda Sayce for an in depth review of the material and
     > surviving instruments.
     No, I think there is a statistical fallacie here: surviving
     instruments
     can not be used to estimate the original theorbo population. To do
     so
     you'd first need to formulate your question(s), then pick a relevant
     set
     of samples and have them survive (a rather absurd idea). The
     survival of
     a theorbo might be caused by rather distorting reasons: maybe the
     isntrument was especially beatiful, or impressive (if so, you'd
     expect
     larger instruments to survive) or so useless/bad that it wasn't
     played
     until totally broken. Or too big to be reworked into a baroque
     lute/gallichon/mandora.
     Cheers, RalfD