See 17th/18th century paintings of dances with lute bands. One (wo)man
   bands at times. Vallet had a lute quartet that rented itself out for
   playing at parties. I've played to dancing people. Was fun! Lots of
   improvising to strech a simple piece. Time for fast runs? Sure. Time
   for intricate harmonies to spice up a bland harmonic schedule? Sure.
   Anything fingers and brain allow; all is permitted as long as you keep
   up the tempo.
   David

   David van Ooijen
   [1]davidvanooi...@gmail.com
   [2]www.davidvanooijen.nl
   On 17 December 2014 at 09:52, Martyn Hodgson