The discussion so far has confirmed my diagnosis that the question cannot be
answered with a brief summary.   OK.  I will try to limit my response, but
no promises.

First, to oversimplify a bit, you have to consider the main strains of
Protestantism, the Lutherans, the Calvinists and the Anglicans, which each
have a different musical point of view.

The Calvinists took the simplest approach, limiting the musical
participation in services mainly to psalm singing, often without
accompaniment, as mentioned earlier.  Nevertheless, this led to the
publication of the Geneva Psalter, which provided melodies for use in church
and for devotions at home. Those melodies underlie a huge body of all sorts
of more complex music composed from that time to the present.  In the lute
world, you have to look at the two books of sacred music published by
Nicolaes Vallet (Een en twintich Psalmen Davids and Regia Pietas) as derived
quite directly from that tradition.  Adrian Le Roy published psalm settings
in several collections, 21 in 1552 and 8 in 1574 (edition by CNRS, 1962) in
addition to a full set of 150 in 1567.

The Lutherans and the Anglicans retained much more of the formal structure
of the Roman Catholic mass, including the singing of the Kyrie, Gloria,
Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei, in addition to the hymns, at least in larger
churches and especially on festivals.

Martin Luther clearly had some experience playing the lute, in addition to
composing at least a few simple hymn melodies.  Lutheran churches of any
size normally had (and have today) on staff a musical director, organist
and/or choral conductor, who may be known as a cantor, and these musicians
often have composed their own music to suit the needs of their positions.
Yes Johann Sebastian Bach was a Lutheran and cantor/organist/composer in
Leipzig, but he was just the pinnacle of a large body of composers starting
from some of Luther's personal friends, like Georg Rhau, Johann Walther  and
Georg Forster who initiated the creation of the body of music, the Lutheran
chorale tunes, that again forms the basis of an ongoing compositional
tradition.  Later sixteenth century figures such as Hans Leo Hassler, Johann
Eccard and Erasmus Widmann began the elaboration.  Well-known
representatives from the seventeenth century include Michael Praetorius,
Michael Altenburg, Heinrich Schütz, Johann Hermann Schein, Samuel Scheidt,
Johann Pachelbel, Johann Crüger, Franz Tunder, Nicolas Bruhns, Dietrich
Buxtehude....  In the world of the lute, there are many settings of Lutheran
chorale melodies.   In print they appear in the collections of Melchior
Neusidler, where some settings are attributed to Conrad Neusidler.
Matthaeus Reymann's Noctes Musicae includes a bunch of massive fantasies
based on Lutheran chorale melodies.  The Königsberg Ms includes simple
settings of at least 20 Lutheran chorales, in addition to around 50 Psalms.

Also in England, large Anglican congregations have always employed an
organist/choirmaster/composer to provide for their musical needs.  Early
major composers in that tradition include Christopher Tye, Thomas Tomkins,
Thomas Tallis, Thomas Weelkes, Orlando Gibbons and Adrian Batten.  William
Byrd did write a number of Anglican anthems in addition to his well-known
body of music for the Roman Catholic rite.   A very important composer of
church music later in the 17th century was Henry Purcell.  Sacred music for
lute in tablature, in addition to the Allison Psalm collection mentioned
earlier, includes Thomas Campion's First Booke of Ayres, printed in 1614,
and Miserere My Maker in the "Turpyn Book", though these were pretty clearly
not intended for use in formal church services.   William Leighton's
collection, The Tears or Lamentations of a sorrowful soul, 1613/14 includes
sacred music in English by John Dowland, John Bull, Alphonso Ferrabosco and
Coperario in addition to pieces he composed himself.

For a modern collection for lute with very useful critical notes, see
Catherine Liddell, Sacred Music for Lute, Volume 1, Renaissance Tuning, Fort
Worth: Lyre Music Publications, 2000.

Daniel Heiman