On Jan 16, 2015, at 4:10 AM, Charles Mokotoff <mokot...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Martin, this quote from you:
>   "In fact there are many passages in John Johnson, Francis Cutting,
>   Anthony Holborne and even Dowland where octaves even up to the 4th
>   course seem to be implied..."
>   I was just wondering how octave stringing is implied by these
>   composers? I have always wondered about this, so am very curious how
>   you reached that conclusion.

The voice-leading implies the stringing.  One example that comes readily to
mind is the third measure of Up Merry Mates from A Pilgrimes Solace.  The lute
part has in the bass (the only moving line), starting on the open fifth course,
C-D-E-F# leading to this chord:

__e__
__a__
_____
_____
_____
__a__

Dowland could have included the G on the fourth course without making it
difficult to play.  His not doing so means either that he didn’t care that the
bass line dropped a seventh for no good reason, or that he assumed octave
stringing on the sixth course, supplying the middle G.