The voice-leading implies the stringing. One example that comes readily to mind is the third measure of Up Merry Mates from A Pilgrimes Solace. The lute part has in the bass (the only moving line), starting on the open fifth course, C-D-E-F# leading to this chord:

__e__
__a__
_____
_____
_____
__a__

Dowland could have included the G on the fourth course without making it difficult to play. His not doing so means either that he didn’t care that the bass line dropped a seventh for no good reason, or that he assumed octave stringing on the sixth course, supplying the middle G.

My two pennyworth - surely the bass line is going to drop a 7th anyway as the previous four notes on the 5th course will be doubled in the octave above if it is octave strung. Why put the G on the 6th course anyway if it is readily available on the 4th.

What you will have with octave stringing is

c'  d'  e'   f#'
c   d   e    f#   g

You could argue that the 5th course was in unisons and the 6th course re-entrant on that basis.

The voice leading does not necessarily imply the stringing. These idiocycracies are inherant in the instrument. Skips of a 7th are common in baroque guitar music and are perfectly acceptable.
Unless I have misunderstood what you are saying.....
Monica