"...if you put as little of the string as possible on the roller, and
   don't bother with a knot..."
   That is EXACTLY the way I do it on conventional pegs. And if I am using
   a nylon chantarelle, I even manually pull some tension on it before I
   tuck/wrap the tag end under the string going into the hole, and then
   pull the somewhat tightened string up onto the nut & into its groove.
   (Outside peghole, of course).
   The only time I allow more wraps is when the peghole is centered, to
   get the tension closer (but not too close-binding!) to the inside cheek
   of the pegbox, where there will be less direct pulling force where the
   peg is most flexible. I can't understand why some people knot the
   strings at/in the pegbox- nothing but trouble.
   Dan