I don't usually chime in, but I've spent the last 3+ years with a lute
   by Dan Larson with such "cheater" pegs and all-gut strings.  It gets
   almost daily use (although it's on a trip with Dan to Boston right now;
   my lutes often travel more extensively than I do), plus concerts &
   recordings.  At least for gut strings in real-time performances, they
   are a godsend.  Additionally, they have worked faithfully for the
   entire time without hitch.
   At least to my philistine eye, they are virtually undetectable in
   weight or appearance, until you give the peg a twist...or marvel at how
   well those gut strings stay in tune.
   For string changing, I find that a (carefully) used Dunlop string
   winder saves some time and wrist fatigue!
   Cheers,
   Tom
   > Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 09:12:50 -0700
   > To: ma...@rowan.edu
   > CC: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: Pegheads on new lute
   >

   > Joe,
   > Yes, but you're forgetting that HIP is approximately 29.2 to 37.7%
   for
   > show. Do the concert on an actual 19th century guitar with original
   > geared tuners and a certain self-appointed Very Important segment of
   > audience will grumble that they've been cheated out of an Authentic
   > Transcendental Historical Experience. Peggy-looking things (even fake
   > ones) will settle their stomachs and make them feel much better about
   > the musicianship. Play the Monteverdi Vespers on an 18 foot-long
   Roman

   <[5]mmgrant0...@gmail.com>
   > wrote:
   > > --001a11c35b4c9e155e0516fefe80
   > >
   > > I had PegHeds (that is how the inventor and manufacturer spells his
   > > product) installed on a 10 c Ren lute. 19 PegHeds to replace tired,
   > worn,
   > > crappy wooden friction pegs that had broken off, actually started
   > shearing
   > > off under load. The lute was used and I had just gotten it. Chuck
   > Herin,
   > > the PegHed guy is, by pure luck, only about 2 hours from me here in
   > South
   > > Carolina. I drove the instrument to him, he made very small bore
   > changes
   > > in the pegbox and installed them. Here are before and after pics of
   > the
   > > lute's pegbox. The PegHeds cost $30 a piece. That adds up but what
   > was it
   > > costing me to have a lute with 1/2 of the broken pegs missing and
   so
   > > unplayable, what would it have cost me to take it to a lute luthier
   > and
   > > have new friction pegs turned and installed and how long would that
   > have
   > > taken. Then I would have been back to friction pegs. Add both costs
   > up
   > > and the PegHeds were a no brainer! I recommend them highly.
   > >
   > > Michael
   > >
   > > On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Dan Winheld <[6]dwinh...@lmi.net>
   > wrote:
   > >
   > >> I am neither conventional nor wise, so I can only offer my own
   > personal
   > >> experience & opinions:
   > >>
   > >> Most people love them, I wouldn't pay $20 for a barrelful of them.
   > But
   > >> they are life saver on Orpharions; or any multi-string,
   > double-course low
   > >> tension wire strung instrument. For those instruments, and those
   > >> instruments alone, I would consider them almost a necessity.
   > >>
   > >> They are nice on my Baroque lute student's 13 course instrument -
   > but
   > >> string changing is his problem!
   > >> Hate them on my own 8 course, but I have adapted & gotten used to
   > them-
   > >> and that lute is so good I put up with them. The conventional but
   > >> exquisitely fitted pegs on my Vihuela are a lot faster & easier
   than
   > the
   > >> Pegheads on my lute; I am used to the quick action of the 1 to 1
   > "gear
   > >> ratio" of no gears! String changes? Instant!
   > >>
   > >> No gears for me, thanks!
   > >>
   > >> Da

   > installed.
   > at