Be aware that the role of the CNRS in French research is surprisingly broad.
The stated mandate of the organisation is to “produce knowledge and to put
that knowledge to the service of society" (my translation from the French).
Consequently,  the CNRS covers all of the sciences, as its name might suggest,
but also all of the social sciences (psychology, sociology, etc.) and the arts
(visual, literary and musical).  In fact the word scientific in the title is
misleading and publishing music falls comfortably within the organisation's
perceived mandate. CNRS is a wonderful organisation (ok, a bit stodgy and
pedantic at times) and is a perfect model for the unstated French world view
that, “if we don’t educate the ignorant masses, who will?"  I was lucky
enough to have been funded for nearly five years of full-time work on the place
of James Joyce in contemporary French literature.  Nirvana.  Those were the
days.  All best, Robert

Robert Gallagher
Tour Béryl BAL 68-3
40, avenue d’Italie