note: I am resenbding this message becasue it got caught in spam traps -
wayne

   Dear Anton Hoger,
   I sent you a private email trying to be helpful and was therefore a bit
   surprised to find you didn't reply to me but instead fired off a touchy
   general response!  And I really don't know what you mean by
   'insinuations' - insinuations of what? Believe it, or not, I was simply
   trying to helpfully suggest that you might save yourself a lot of time
   and effort if you read pieces directly from the staff notation and also
   learned figured bass rather than always having to employ an
   intermediate stage of written intabulation.
   Now you raise the matter, generally I do think that most reasonably
   competent players should be encouraged to make their own
   arrangements/transcriptions in their own style and, as I say, to be
   able to play reasonably fluently from staff notation without always
   having to rely on a modern intabulation made by a third party.
   Similarly, I think it good for lute players to be encouraged to become
   fluent in Italian tablature without needing to rely on transcriptions
   into the French system. The reliance on other peoples' arrangements and
   transcriptions can, in my view, be restrictive and effectively close
   much of the enormous wealth of music from all ages.  I also believe
   that the process of making ones own arrangements/transcriptions is
   thoroughly enjoyable one (and really not 'rocket science') and is a
   personally creative way for individuals to discover original music and
   repertoire new to them. And, I might add, to create something which
   ideally matches their individual technical capabilities, instrument(s)
   and musical tastes.
   MH