Dear Andreas,

You might be interested to read Mersenne in his Harmonie Universelle of 1636 (I
don't know whether there is an English translation available) where he speaks
of the choice of diameter of strings for the lute firstly in relation to the
length of the instrument and then proportionately going up from the bass
calculated according to the intervals. He seems to stop at the second-course.
He also refers the reader to the table he has drawn up for ''l'Épinette'' which
he says shows the correct ratio the strings of every instrument should abide by
(Traité des Instrumens à chordes, pp. 50-51 and pp.120-122).

Best,
Matthew