Most probably Gauthier refers to Jacques Gaultier d’Angleterre. After killing
his opponent in a duel Gaultier came to England in 1617. He was a member of
King’s Musick beginning with 1619 until 1648. Although Lord Herbert traveled
both to France and Rome he returned to London in 1617, so he had a good
opportunity to meet Jacques Gaultier who played there several times. In 1619
Edward Herbert  went back to Paris as an ambassador to the French court, but
had to leave after he opposed marriage between Prince Charles and Henrietta
Maria. King James in return banished him to Ireland were Herbert spent almost 9
years, but from 1628 he was allowed to return to Montgomery castle. The type of
bindings in olive morocco was already used in France by George Drobet on a book
for Marie de Medicis in 1611, so there are big chances that his lute book was
bound most probably in Paris, or it was bought by him ready made from a
bookseller on one of his trips to Paris (maybe from Ballards?).
On the other hand Lord Cherbury was an amateur lute player and he most probably
used to copy pieces to his lute book  from some loose sheets of paper dated
probably much earlier, and which he acquired from renown lute players that he
met. This is why we can’t be sure about exact dates and attribution of
particular pieces, but it seems very likely that he met Jacques Gaultier on
several occasions and he is the most likely composer of the compositions in
question.

Best

JL