Could the quote perhaps be found in "El arte de taner fantasia" by
   Tomas Santamaria?
   G.

   On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Matthew Daillie
   <[1]dail...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

     Hi Martin,
     Several vihuelists seemed to say something along those lines but I
     suspect that the quote you might be looking for is by Fuenllana:
     'My opinion is that whoever truly wishes to learn music should
     always train himself in studying and transcribing composed works,
     since the true profit is obtained from them. And if the fantasias in
     this book have some fragrance of composition, I confess the reason
     to be that I have seen and transcribed many works of excellent
     authors.'
     Do you have Luis Gasser's book 'Luis Milan on Sixteenth Century
     Performance Practice? If so, look up page 113 ff.
     Best,
     Matthew