Dear Martin
   I cannot recall offhand any quote with the exact meaning you mention.
   The closest I can think of is from Bermudo (Declaracion de
   Instrumentos, 1555, fol. xcix-verso), where he deals with the process
   of intabulation and suggests intabulating the vocal works from several
   composers (Tellez, Morales and Gombert). As a matter of fact, he does
   not equate here the "fantasia" with the composed work as found in the
   vihuela books, but rather as the product of the budding vihuelist's
   imagination and advices against indulging in such a practice, otherwise
   the beginner might end paying with "bad air":
   "It is a sore mistake for the beginners to try to come up with their
   fantasia when they start to play. Even if they would know counterpoint
   (unless it is as good as that of the aforesaid musicians) they should
   not play "fantasia" so early in order not to develop "bad ayre" [mal
   ayre].
   Milan, on the other hand, considers that the pieces in his book should
   be called "fantasias" because they proceed form the author's fancy.
   Fuenllana does not comment about the fantasias characteristics other
   than comparing them with the "obras compuestas" (i.e. intabulations of
   vocal polyphony), and even states that if his own fantasias may have a
   "certain odour of composed works", it is due to the many such works he
   has seen and intabulated; his advice to the beginner is to study and
   play "obras compuestas" if he desires to truly learn music.
   Hope this helps. Best regards,
   Antonio