Maybe because, firstly much of the music composed for lute today is
   incredibly trite and uninteresting when set against the works of the
   great composers of the renaissance and the baroque period (personally I
   feel there is so much historic repertory yet to discover that I am not
   at all interested in spending time on second-rate rehash) and secondly,
   the majority of composers writing for lute seem to be completely
   oblivious to all the developments in contemporary music which have led
   to some works of extraordinary beauty and sophistication for
   instruments and formations of all shapes and sizes, a million miles
   away from much of the insipid fodder being pushed our way.
   Best,
   Matthew