From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Edward Martin
Sent: 15 March, 2018 14:30
To: lute net
Subject: [LUTE] Goffriller

Dear ones,

I reside in Northern Minnesota, and in a few days we will have a cello concert
performed by Amit Peled, and he is performing on Pablo Casals’ old cello by
Matteo Goffriller made in 1733.  I looked up some information on that builder,
and he founded the Venice school of violin making and he is known mostly for
his cellos.  Most or all of his surviving instruments are accounted for, but
all lists contained only violins, violas, cellos, basses. No lutes listed.

I seem to recall years ago that Paul O’Dette used to play an alto lute built by
Nico van der waals, modeled after a lute by Goffriller. I am having a difficult
time finding anything about extant Goffriller lutes. Does anyone know anything
about the provenance of an old Goffriller lute?  I would like to know, as I
will be meeting with Amit Pelad, who has Pablo Casals’ Goffriller cello.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone