Don't neglect bar hopping. Start barring the 3rd position/fret, move up to 5th, back to 1st or 2nd, up to 6th and/or 7th; then supplement 1st finger only (in order to learn to make all strings sound clearly) with chord formations and scale patterns.

 Advanced training- take any very simple piece that is in open string/1st position and play the whole thing anywhere up the neck with 3 fingers, your 1st finger bar being the "nut".

Then move on to pub crawling.

Dan