It is - and I recommend playing the Ricercars for their excessive use of it - you don't get better exercise in holding notes. :)

Am 04.08.2018 um 14:48 schrieb Leonard Williams:
    What is the significance of the double-"x" after some notes?  Is this a
    hold sign?

    Leonard
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Sean Smith <lutesm...@gmail.com>
    To: lute <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
    Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 7:15 pm
    Subject: [LUTE] More dots
      Antonio Rota in his first book has a Saltarelo and Piva in the Dm
      Antico dance cycle that includes the passage (more or less similar in
      each)
      I2 0.2.3.5.7.I
      I3 2.3.5.7.8.I  etc.
      It may not be clear above but it's a run of thirds where each cipher
      has a dot following. The passage continues into the 2nd and third
      courses and the initial downbeat in each measure is undotted. Is he
      suggesting both notes are
      a) played with the index
      b) some non-thumb finger
      c) something else? brushed? strummed? two-note dedillo? lighter?
      AR is quite liberal in his right-of-cipher dottage in this print
    while
      the Gardane print (same year) strips them all away.
      AR also uses dots beside rootless chords on off-beats, including
      non-adjacent strings. I'm suspecting the innocuous dot may have other
      meanings beside "index finger here" but I'm not sure what.
    Suggestions?
      Speculation?
      Here is the facsimile link to the book [with thanks to Jo Bringmann].
      The passages are on 13v and 15r.

    [1][1]http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/0007/bsb00071965/images/index
    .ht
      ml?id