It is enough to click the Send button on a question to the lute list
   for Google to bring you (some of) the answer one second later... It was
   indeed the first.

   "While he was in London, Dowland published his first collection of
   music, The First Booke of Songes or Ayres of Foure Partes with
   Tableture for the Lute (1597). It was an outstanding success - it was
   reprinted at least four times - and broke new ground in several
   respects. It was the first published collection of English lute songs,
   and was the first publication to use the ingenious 'table layout',
   which allowed for performance in many different ways. At that time,
   vocal ensemble music was usually published in sets of small part-books,
   but Dowland used a single large volume with all the parts for each
   piece distributed around the sides of a single opening. The songs can
   be performed by a single individual singing the tune and playing the
   tablature accompaniment, as a four-part song with or without lute, or
   with viols replacing or doubling some or all of the voices. The
   collection was also novel in that the compositional devices associated
   with the madrigal were conspicuous by their absence. All the songs are
   strophic, most of them use dance rhythms and patterns, and some of them
   are arrangements of existing lute dances. Madrigal-like word painting
   and counterpoint are more in evidence in Dowland's later song books,
   published in 1600, 1603 and 1612. A few songs in the 1612 volume, A
   Pilgrimes Solace, also show that he had become aware of the new
   declamatory style of his Italian contemporaries."

   From: [1]http://www.hoasm.org/IVM/Dowland.html

   I am wondering if the Golden age of the lute in England does not owe as
   much to the talent of the printers as to that of the musicians ... At
   the very least, it is very interesting to see Dowland's name associated
   with a small technological revolution.