Bravo Ron Andrico! Bravo! No more cluttering of emails--yours says it
   best!
   Timothy Swain

   On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:11 AM Ron Andrico <[1]praelu...@hotmail.com>
   wrote:

        I feel I must add a word of support for Julian Bream and his many
        contributions to the current lute revival.
        As a 20th-century pioneering concert artist, Julian Bream first
     and
        foremost raised the lute from a quaint closet instrument, best
     suited
        to historians and eccentrics, to an instrument capable of musical
        expression that reached and communicated to modern audiences.
        Yes, Julian Bream developed and employed his own characteristic
        technique.   And yes, he used instruments that were modified from
        historical models to suit his needs as a touring concert artist.
       But
        it was through his musical chops that he exposed a broad audience
        the depth and the possibilities of old music for the lute.
        Bream-bashing has been a popular sport among modern players who
     like to
        dwell on what is now considered proper lute technique, but many
     of
        these players for all intents and purposes dwell in glass houses.
       For
        instance, I still see an absurd number of modern players (who
     really
        should know better) using thumb-under technique on baroque lute
     and
        theorbo.   This is patently unhistorical.   In fact, it is well
     known
        that music from circa 1600 onward should be played with the thumb
     out.
        While the lute world is populated by an abundance of opinionated
        hobbyists, Julian Bream is a real musician, and probably still
     has
        chops most lute players will never attain.   Let's give the man
     the
        respect he deserves.
        RA