On 22.07.2019 04:15, Jurgen Frenz wrote:
to my opinion it would be great if someone anyone would record an identical
piece of renaissance music twice: once in equal temperament and once in a
different tuning so that everybody can appreciate the difference.
Of course, one thing that nobody mentioned in this discussion is our
"well-tempered" music that from early childhood onward has conditioned our
hearing - Arab and Indian musicians hear those micro-intervals much better than we do
because their everyday sonic environment contains them. I assume that in the 16th century
European ears were differently trained than ours today and hence the music-playing public
would hear those intervals that we judge to be of lesser importance. There is a
hypothesis that monophonic non-western music survives with little changes precisely
because of these subtle intervals that are charged with emotional expressiveness whereas
our western harmonic equal 'temperamented' music ended its development around 1900 when
all possibilities had been explored. - I do not know if we can improve our hearing so as
to recognize the subtleties of non-equal temperament once we are older than 20 or so.
Whatever the case, it would be great to hear the difference in an example - it
should be remarkable in a slower Dall'Aquila fantasia or something similar.

Best wishes
Jurgen

Go to

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/product_info.php?products_id=807988

and press "Related Links".

I think there are other pages with vocal music in different tunings, but I
cannot remember.

Rainer

PS

We had this discussion not very long ago and apparently nobody has changed his
mind :(