Some inspiring quotes:

"I once had a lute whose frets were loose,

and I could play nothing, nothing but the blues ... " (Robert Johnson)

"Temperaments are affairs of taste, not affairs of state." (Talleyrand, quoting Rameau quoting Aristotle's lost treatise on music).

"Playing a lute with loose frets is to music what driving a car without a steering wheel is to public safety. Highly hazardous." (Public knowledge, and the reason why Volkswagen recalled all its lutes manufactured in 2015).

"Loose frets on a lute is why I play the guitar" (Eddie Van Halen)

"You need a lot of guts to be playing the lute theses days" (anonymous sheep not wanting to get confused for a cat).

"If your frets are in the spot your lute maker told you to put them, don't f---ink move them!", George Carlin.

I agree with George, even though sometimes my lute will disagree... From personal experience, the more you move a fret, the more it will move of its own accord, and rarely a graceful one.

Alain