Excellent—thanks for the reference—I’ll get on it.

jeff

From: Bruno Cognyl-Fournier
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:52 PM
To: jjnoo...@sbcglobal.net
Cc: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: New World lute/theorbo, etc.

   there was a study done a while back by Robert Derome on the lute in New
   France
   [1]http://rd.uqam.ca/Luth/index.html

   Le  mar. 30 juil. 2019 Ã   13:37, <[2]jjnoo...@sbcglobal.net> a
écrit
    :

     A questionâmostly likely for luters north of the borderâ
     Do we have any documentary evidence (letters, wills, inventories,
     etc.) of lutes or theorboes in New France (Canada and Western US) in
     16th-17th -18thcenturies? Are there any surviving instruments from
     the period in Canadian museums or collections?
     A number of years ago, historian colleague showed me a reference to
     a theorbo in the French Caribbean in a (I think) late 17th-c text.
     I've misplaced the reference and am trying to dig it up again. (If
     anyone out there knows this source, I'd appreciate your jogging my
     memory.)
     There are, of course, references to the guitar in 16th-c Spanish and
     French colonies but I don't recall ever seeing lutes listed in any
     of those documents.
     Regionally, a local historian shared with me a reference to a guitar
     in the early 19th-c will/inventory of a French settler in Ste.
     Genevieve MO. I don't think there is any description of the
     instrument, so no telling if it was a French baroque guitar, a
     European transitional guitar or a New World instrument.
     Thanks in advance for any pertinent ideas or suggestions.
     See ya,
     jeff