   Pretty much sums it up.
   Best, and keep playing,
   Chris.

   On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 3:27 PM <[1]jjnoo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

     Not necessarily built in New France, but used in New France in
     17th-18th C. I'm looking for reported lute activity in the New World
     colonial era.
     jeff
     From: Tristan von Neumann
     Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:34 PM
     To: [2]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: New World lute/theorbo, etc.
     Just to make sure I understood this:
     You mean lutes built in New France, not imported instruments?
     :)
     T*
     On 30.07.19 19:31, [3]jjnoo...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
     > A questionââ¬"mostly likely for luters north of the borderââ¬"
     >
     > Do we have any documentary evidence (letters, wills, inventories,
     etc.) of lutes or theorboes in New France (Canada and Western US) in
     16th-17th -18thcenturies? Are there any surviving instruments from
     the period in Canadian museums or collections?

     > A number of years ago, historian colleague showed me a reference
     to a theorbo in the French Caribbean in a (I think) late 17th-c
     text. Iââ¬â¢ve misplaced the reference and am trying to dig it up
     again. (If anyone out there knows this source, Iââ¬â¢d appreciate
     your jogging my memory.)

     > There are, of course, references to the guitar in 16th-c Spanish
     and French colonies but I donââ¬â¢t recall ever seeing lutes listed
     in any of those documents.

     > Regionally, a local historian shared with me a reference to a
     guitar in the early 19th-c will/inventory of a French settler in
     Ste. Genevieve MO. I donââ¬â¢t think there is any description of
     the instrument, so no telling if it was a French baroque guitar, a
     European transitional guitar or a New World instrument.