I guess you are right about the character of this music as show-off.

It's just fun to listen to someone developing variations.

If you don't listen, the mood is constant and doesn't distract.

It's basically Jazz or Blues, as Victor Coelho put it.

Definitely the fanciest ideas I found in the Wurstisen Lute Book Vol. 6.