So here's something different for a change.

Why is it that in the US there are "Renfairs", all dedicated to mainly
the 16th century (and some really stretching it by allowing some fantasy
elements), while in Germany we only have "Mittelaltermärkte" (Medieval
Fairs).

What I don't like about the Medieval Fairs in Germany (though some are
quite good and only allow painstakingly recreated authentic stuff), is
the music.

Since we don't know much about instrumental music of the Middle Ages,
many people take this as an excuse to brutally treat the crowd with
Techno-like monster beats by huge drums and ear-shattering bagpiping.

I have very rarely heard "real" Medival Music apart from some Walter von
der Vogelweide favourites and the occasional Oswald von Wolkenstein.

Even the popular "Estampies" are rarely heard, and we rarely get even
simplified versions of tunes from British Library Add. 29987.

If you're not blasted by bagpipes, there will be bawdy songs in
pseudo-medieval folk style, of course played on totally inappropriate
instruments.

While I think I would love to take my lute to such an event, I would be
totally anachronistic, and I do not want to join the "Medieval"
musicians presenting 16th century music like Susato or even Praetorius
as "medieval".

These events have musically corrupted the ear of the common audience.
Whenever someone hears 16th century lute music they consider it
"medieval"...

Lucky America: having looked through musical performances at Renaissance
Fairs, we see many ensembles actually performing appropriate songs and
dances.

Here's a great example (if the lute player is here: good job you two)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RptxRpTiHo

Also madrigal singers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYc7AqSTZXY

Anachronisms are sometimes good fun, as the madrigal version of Katy
Perry shows, but it seems madrigal singers really enjoy the original
material like Dowland songs or Italian vocal music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIsHkuVTzDE

Of course there are some of those folk singers too, but the style is
more appropriate for the age represented.

So here's the survey - how many of you have at least performed once at a
Renaissance Fair in the US (or other countries) - or in case of Germany,
at a "Mittelaltermarkt"? (are there attempts to establish a Renaissance
fair beside the Medieval ones?)

How is the response to actual lute music?