From: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
<lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> On Behalf Of Tristan von Neumann
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:30 AM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Renaissance/Medieval Fairs

So here's something different for a change.

Why is it that in the US there are "Renfairs", all dedicated to mainly the 16th
century (and some really stretching it by allowing some fantasy elements),
while in Germany we only have "Mittelaltermärkte" (Medieval Fairs).

What I don't like about the Medieval Fairs in Germany (though some are quite
good and only allow painstakingly recreated authentic stuff), is the music.

Since we don't know much about instrumental music of the Middle Ages, many
people take this as an excuse to brutally treat the crowd with Techno-like
monster beats by huge drums and ear-shattering bagpiping.

I have very rarely heard "real" Medival Music apart from some Walter von der
Vogelweide favourites and the occasional Oswald von Wolkenstein.

Even the popular "Estampies" are rarely heard, and we rarely get even
simplified versions of tunes from British Library Add. 29987.

If you're not blasted by bagpipes, there will be bawdy songs in pseudo-medieval
folk style, of course played on totally inappropriate instruments.

While I think I would love to take my lute to such an event, I would be totally
anachronistic, and I do not want to join the "Medieval"
musicians presenting 16th century music like Susato or even Praetorius as
"medieval".

These events have musically corrupted the ear of the common audience.
Whenever someone hears 16th century lute music they consider it "medieval"...

Lucky America: having looked through musical performances at Renaissance Fairs,
we see many ensembles actually performing appropriate songs and dances.

Here's a great example (if the lute player is here: good job you two)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RptxRpTiHo

Also madrigal singers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYc7AqSTZXY

Anachronisms are sometimes good fun, as the madrigal version of Katy Perry
shows, but it seems madrigal singers really enjoy the original material like
Dowland songs or Italian vocal music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIsHkuVTzDE

Of course there are some of those folk singers too, but the style is more
appropriate for the age represented.

So here's the survey - how many of you have at least performed once at a
Renaissance Fair in the US (or other countries) - or in case of Germany, at a
"Mittelaltermarkt"? (are there attempts to establish a Renaissance fair beside
the Medieval ones?)

How is the response to actual lute music?