>On a more "philosophical" view: wasn't it better to allow young
   luthiers to
   have a market instead of put this also in the hands of Chinese mass
   building? If young luthiers will not have a market and will not be able
   grow up professionally to the verge of the art, what you will get in a
   few
   years is the same standard, cheap instruments, maybe good enough but
   without
   personality.
   Francesco
   I just found this message from Francesco (in the wrong mail folder) and
   have to say thanks for your words of wisdom on the subject.  One might
   say that LLD got what they deserved by seeking out a low-budget
   producer of their instruments.  The reason goods from that particular
   locale are inexpensive is because 1) they pay their workers a pittance,
   and 2) their business practices follow a path quite divergent from
   those of the west.
   While it is a good thing to take steps to make lutes more affordable to
   a broader public, it would be a better thing to look at the problem
   from a wide perspective.  If we care about cultivating an appreciation
   for the lute and its music, we should care about cultivating the craft
   skill of making lutes.  Why not put energy (and money) into apprentice
   programs to train the next generation of luthiers?  The shortage of
   skilled luthiers is a very serious problem, and having a local luthier
   would be a blessing.
   RA