   From: lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu
   <lute-...@new-old-mail.cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of Tristan von
   Neumann <tristanvonneum...@gmx.de>
   Sent: 04 August 2020 15:22
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Tablature letters on lines - was Re: e vs c

   It seems to me that moveable type doesn't seem to have anything to do
   with the decision.
   The types with the line already included (as in scores) are on-line
   (Phalèse).
   If you print in two steps with the lines first then the letters,
   above-line seems more common, maybe easier to align.

   <[3][3]lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   >     >    Ah yes. I forgot about those.
   >     >    I hate English prints. As if they were deliberately trying
   to make
   >     >    things unreadable.
   >     >    Morlaye is the best imho.
   >     >    On 04.08.20 01:30, Denys Stephens wrote:
   >     >    > Dear Sean & Tristan, the Robert Dowland à ¢Varietie of
   lute
   >     lessons'
   >     >    and Barley's à ¢New book of tablature' both have à ¢r' for
   Ã ¢c'
   >     although the
   >     >    latter is engraved rather than typeset. I suspect that the
   >     Varietie of
   >     >    lute lessons may have had an undue influence in modern times
   >     because it
   >     >    was the first facsimile that many of us who were involved in
   lute
   >     music
   >     >    in those days owned in the Scott edition.
   >     >    > Best wishes, Denys
   >     >    >
   >     >    > Sent from my iPhone
   >     >    >
   >     >    >> On 4 Aug 2020, at 00:02, Tristan von Neumann
   >     >    <[4][4]tristanvonneum...@gmx.de> wrote:
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> Good question Sean...
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> I think there's no real development in this.
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> For example, Fuhrmann's Testudo Gallica&Germanica uses
   >     "on-line"
   >     >    fonts,
   >     >    >> and "c".
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> This is very annoying sometimes if you want to play from
   the
   >     >    facsimile...
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> In manuscripts, Marsh Lute Book uses c, it's often very
   >     confusing
   >     >    next
   >     >    >> to the e.
   >     >    >>
   >     >    >> French "above line" prints from earlier decades (Morlaye,
   Le
   [5][5]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

   [6][6]http://morristownnhpmuseum.blogspot.com/2016/10/paleography-for-e

   [12]http://morristownnhpmuseum.blogspot.com/2016/10/paleography-for-eve