On Wednesday, 12 August 2026 20:10:26 AEST Jason J.G. White via luv-main 
wrote:
> A side question: at some point I'll need a successor to my current
> ThinkPad P51 machine (it's the version with the Intel Xeon E3-1505M v6
> processor, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, ECC memory modules, 2017-era technology).

If you are determined to have ECC RAM then your options will be very limited.  
I like ECC but have given up on the idea of having laptops with it.  I just 
ssh somewhere else to do compiles etc.

> It's still running well, but it's probably one of the earliest models
> with USB-C, and the USB-C port has compatibility issues with a
> specialized braille device that I've tried to connect, producing
> low-level errors enumerating device descriptors in the kernel logs. I've
> been told that some older USB-C ports don't meet the power requirements
> to connect to this device (internally, it's essentially an Android

If you are using it at a desk you could use a USB-C dock which costs about $15 
on AliExpress and takes a USB-C power supply.  That should supply enough power 
to every device you connect.

> tablet). Also, this ThinkPad isn't very portable, and I'm sure there are
> more portable options now that would exceed its performance, e.g., when
> compiling packages from source.

The X1 Carbon series is great for portability but ECC is not an option.  
Probably all laptops with ECC will be bulky ones.

Would a phone form factor be a better option for you?

> I'm also considering whether buying a new machine and using it for 8-10
> years would be the best over-all option, or whether the secondary market
> (e.g., reputable refurbished hardware suppliers) with more frequent
> upgrades would offer a better strategy. The purpose is to minimize total
> cost of ownership over time, rather than to optimize for up-front
> purchase price. I'm sure there are reputable analyses applicable to my
> situation.

That's what I do.  Instead of buying a $2000+ new system I buy a second hand 
system for around $300.  The second hand systems usually last a few years and 
I get on average better hardware than buying a $2000+ system every 14 to 20 
years which would give the same overall cost.  Also if I break one I'll be 
much less unhappy than if I broke a $2000 system.

> To be clear, I'm not in a hurry for this upgrade, but I'm also aware
> that I'll need it, whether due to hardware failure or for other
> practical reasons such as those I've outlined. The current machine runs
> Arch Linux (with a secondary Microsoft Windows 11 partition due to
> unfortunate software compatibility needs that I'll avoid elaborating
> here and which I hope will be eliminated at some point). I'm not
> necessarily committed to Arch on the next machine, and I've had
> experience across distributions.

Windows 10/11 work well under KVM.  32G of RAM is enough to have a small 
Windows VM running in the background without slowing things down.

-- 
My Main Blog         http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog    http://doc.coker.com.au/



_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to