Russell Coker via luv-main <[email protected]> wrote:
If you are determined to have ECC RAM then your options will be very
limited.
I like ECC but have given up on the idea of having laptops with it. I just
ssh somewhere else to do compiles etc.
Having a separate machine with ECC RAM for file storage and heavier work
would also be a feasible option. I wouldn't need to travel with it as
long as it remained on the network.
The X1 Carbon series is great for portability but ECC is not an option.
Probably all laptops with ECC will be bulky ones.
Would a phone form factor be a better option for you?
Maybe with Android's Debian environment. Also, some of the newer braille
devices on the market run full desktop operating systems - Linux in one
case. There may be more interesting products in this category over the
next several years, depending on what manufacturers decide to develop
with emerging multi-line braille display technologies. The disadvantage
is that the way manufacturers combine the (very expensive)
electromechanical braille display hardware and the computing
capabilities in a single device typically does not allow the latter to
be upgraded. Someone needs to build a modular system enabling the board
to be replaced easily while retaining the display component.
I'm also considering whether buying a new machine and using it for 8-10
years would be the best over-all option, or whether the secondary market
(e.g., reputable refurbished hardware suppliers) with more frequent
upgrades would offer a better strategy. The purpose is to minimize total
cost of ownership over time, rather than to optimize for up-front
purchase price. I'm sure there are reputable analyses applicable to my
situation.
That's what I do. Instead of buying a $2000+ new system I buy a second hand
system for around $300. The second hand systems usually last a few years and
I get on average better hardware than buying a $2000+ system every 14 to 20
years which would give the same overall cost. Also if I break one I'll be
much less unhappy than if I broke a $2000 system.
Yes, exactly, and it's inexpensive enough to replace without dealing
with warranty claims.
If it's certified to run Linux (Fedora and Ubuntu, at least, have
certification programs), and it has been in the field for several years
or more, the drivers should all be reliable as well. Dell and Lenovo
certify systems intended for enterprise use; they and other
manufacturers participate in the Linux Vendor Firmware Service as well.
So, for anyone who is new to buying Linux-compatible systems (whether in
the secondary market or not) to run Linux, I still think it is prudent
to undertake the necessary hardware research first. It was true when I
bought my first laptop to run Linux in 1998, and it's still good advice
today.
Reputable refurbishing companies are supposed to test the hardware
thoroughly, which should reduce the short-term failure risk of buying a
used system from a reliable source.
_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]