FRussell Coker via luv-main <[email protected]> writes:

> https://www.speedtest.net/
>
> According to the above site my home Internet connection gets 530.46Mbps 
> download and 45.87Mbps upload.
>
> When watching YouTube at 1080p resolution at 2* speed with Google-Chrome as 
> the browser I get timeouts.
>
> What could be the cause of this?  How would I go about diagnosing a problem 
> of 
> Internet speed that doesn't show up in speedtest.net?
>
> Is there any FOSS software for checking link quality, something I could run 
> on 
> one of my servers and look for packet loss on high speed data transfers?

I have been seeing random issues with youtube recently - was on 500/200
AussieBroadband plan last time it happened, my research suggested the
problem was with youtube...

Right now I notice that AussieBroadband app has a notification about
increase latency to International Services. Sinced the 4th, now expected
to be fixed on the 17th. Due to "Third to a third-party fault affecting
international network infrastructure...". I am guessing this could
potentially affect other ISPs too.

My Youtube issues started before that date however.

> I'm paying $95/month for Internode (now TPG) NBN.  Having IPv6 is very 
> important to me and I am willing to pay extra for that (options of saving 
> money while not having IPv6 are not interesting to me).  If I could pay less 
> for the same level of service then that would be good.  If I could pay the 
> same to another ISP and get better reliability on Youtube then that would be 
> good.

Aussie Broadband has really good reputation. Haven't had to do this, but
apparently support is particularly good if you are experiencing any sort
of NBN issue slowing down your connection.

Static IPv4 relatively expensive (particularly compared with Internode),
and more then 1 static IPv4 address ($5/address/month) requires a
business plan.

Last I researched, Superloop is good too - possible cheaper then Aussie
Broadband, but many people complaining support is terrible.

I think both have IPv6. Aussie Broodband has given me a /48, I think
Internode only issued /56. Not that I ever was in any danger of running
out... I think Aussie Broadband doesn't guarantee 100% that IPv6
addresses will never change, but in practise they never change and this
is has never been an issue for me. I think this means if you get a new
connection for some reason, you won't be able to reuse your old IPv6
addresses (addresses are assigned automatically to new connections with
their DHCPv6 server and they don't appear to be able to override it).

Aussie Broadband has an Android (and probably IOS) app, that allows
doing NBN tests / getting NBN connection info. Without having to ring up
and get support to do it for you.
-- 
Brian May @ Linux Penguins
_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to