On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 04:32:00PM +0000, Jamie Brown wrote:
> Not sure why my this thread is being hijacked to ask very general questions
> :) please don't confuse those with me ;)

Definitely not :)

> Tycho,
>
> Thanks for the response regarding criu, I figured this may be the case from
> inspecting the criu source, but wasn't sure how this could be configured and
> whether there were known limitations. Considering criu has some sort of
> caching of hard/soft links, could this potentially use a lot of RAM during
> the snapshot phase if this limit were to be heavily increased?

I think it's mostly to avoid puting GBs of files into criu's images,
which seems like a somewhat artificial concern to me :). For LXC 2.0
(planned for 16.04) I'm going to add a new API function that will let
you configure a lot of this stuff and have a more extensible API than
->checkpoint now.

> I also wondered if you had any response to the mounting issue using ext3/ext4
> I sent the other day?

You're talking about the .lxd-mounts failure? I've thought about it,
but I can't understand how it's happening. I've heard off-list of
several other people with the issue, though, can you send

cat /proc/<pid>/mountinfo

of the target LXD?

> I'm finding it odd that I get random successful migrations, but then can't
> replicate it. I'm always just testing with simple fresh Ubuntu containers.
> The container that caused the criu error was an exception to this.

By criu error, you mean the ghost file size error?

Tycho