Leon Waldman <le.wald...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, first post on the list :)

Welcome.

> Assuming a hardened Guest image (SELinux or Apparmor + The NSA
> Guidelines + no shell access on the guests), A LXC Host would be
> suitable to use as containment and resources control system for web
> hosting of several clients (I mean... Several 1000+)?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I would use OpenVZ or Virtuozzo instead.

> Assuming a Duo-Quad core intel machine, with 32 Gigs of RAM, how many
> containers I could squeeze on it? (Like... without any service running,
> what would be the memory and cpu overhead?)

I don't know that many resources regarding this information. I saved a
pdf from an "Intel Cloud Builder Series" webcast in 2010, that
featured Parallels Virtuozzo. It says they deployed 120 virtual
environments on a single 16 GB RAM host. All 120 virtual environments
ran the DVD-Store LAMP Stack (I don't know, whether this is this
DVD-Store (http://linux.dell.com/dvdstore/)) and the latency grew
unbearable at around 120 VEs.

You should look into OpenVZ/Virtuozzo, if you want to start know.
Otherwise you'll have to wait until all the new stuff (e. g. Criu
(criu.org)) have found their way into the main kernel.

by
Töns
--
There is no safe distance.